Fuse #8

Thursday, September 14, 2006

I'm Crazy 'Bout These Cupcakes, Cousin

I've long suspected that the preferred currency amongst children's librarians, booksellers, and publishers is cupcakes. In the past I admit to having had good cupcake related experiences, from incredibly cool people. Later on I discovered further evidence to back up my cupcake currency claim. Now The Analytical Knife has put the final nail in the coffin, as it were. The post Having Your Cupcake and Eating It Too notes the Manhattan-based difficulties of purchasing these tasty treats for less than $5. The sad part of the story, to my mind, is that she was a mere 2-3 blocks away from one of The Cupcake Cafe locations in beautiful Books of Wonder (a children's bookstore that falls into the Must Visit category for you NYC bound fillies). The post is well worth a read, in spite of this sad element.

3 Comments:

At 9:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

New York has lots of less-than-5-bucks-each cupcake places: Sugar Sweet Sunshine, Billy's Bakery, and Buttercup Bake Shop. My favorites are the Red Velvet cupcakes at Buttercup. (I've never eaten at Magnolia Bakery, so I can't make a recommendation there.) The mini cupcakes at The Cupcake Cafe in Books of Wonder are divine, too!

 
At 1:25 PM , Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

I'm tellin' ya, when you come to Seattle for ALA Midwinter conference (you are coming, right?), you've got to check out one of the Cupcake Royale places. Each cupcake is $2 of buttercreamy goodness.

 
At 2:20 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Oh, I'm coming. We should meet up while I'm there, by the way. Then you can show me the city's cupcakety goodness.

And Pooja had a good point about pricing. Not every NYC cupcake is good friends with Mr. Lincoln. I'm a little shocked at the Whole Foods Price. They must coat them in gold leaf or something.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home