Fuse #8

Friday, October 27, 2006

A Trip To the Brooklyn Arden

You guys are all perfectly aware that we're having a kidlit drink night on November 6th at Sweet & Vicious around 6 p.m. again, yes? Good, because Cheryl Klein has offered a kind of plea:

I will buy a drink for the person who comes up with the best alternate name for said drinks night; the name must contain fewer syllables (and especially fewer plurals). I nominate "Happy Bunny Hour," but I'm sure you all can do better. Take it away!

Too many bunnies for me. I'm still recovering from the one on LOST. Anyone have a smattering of inspiration they'd like to share?

Actually, that's not Cheryl's only recent plea. She also mentions that she is editing a, "book-length retelling of 'Rumplestiltskin' that has been described as 'a mystery, spun with a ghost story, woven with a romance, and shot through with fairy tale.' It is very, very good, and will be published in Spring 2008."

Great book, but again we have no name. Offer your suggestions to Ms. Klein if you are feeling extra extra brilliant. No making names with the word "spindle" in them either. The "Rumplestiltskin" story does not involve spindles. Know your spinning wheels, people.

8 Comments:

At 10:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

But doesn't the word spindle also refer to an amount of spun cotton? (He said somewhat ignorantly, a little defensively, and a bit hopefully since his suggestion included the word spindle and he likes chocolate.) Hope all's well in NYC!
-- Paul

 
At 11:39 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

If you're talking about mill machines than a spindle would help in the processing of cotton, yes. But if you're talking about spinning wheels then the only spindle you're going to find is one involved in the creation of linen.

 
At 2:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blogger ate my earlier thoughtful, spindly response to your response. Aaargh. In any case, I don’t really know what I’m talking about. Of course that has not stopped me yet. I wasn’t really thinking of spinning wheels. On her journal, Elizabeth Bunce said that her novel takes place in “a cursed woollen mill… during the Industrial Revolution.” That made me think of smoky skies and Manchester factories. (Great setting for a Rumpelstilskin story!!) From there, spindles were just a short hop away. Oddly, I was wandering about the library late yesterday and the title “Spindles End” by Robin McKinley caught my eye. It’s a retelling of Sleeping Beauty. Never even heard of it! Now it’s spindles, spindles everywhere I turn. Get it… turn. :)

 
At 5:23 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Ah.
Yeah, I thought the distaff went in there somewhere. This is the advantage of having one's mother (the one who taught me to spin the first place) regularly reading my blog. Keeps me humble.

Okay then, Mom, what would YOU name it?

 
At 6:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know nothing about spinning and distaffes and whatnot, but the poor dead feller's name is Herve' Villechaize.

(Anonymous, so that Fuse's mom won't beat me with a wet strand of wool.)

 
At 7:02 PM , Blogger Greg Pincus said...

I'm getting no love at Cheryl's site for my Blog 'n' Grog suggestion. We artists always have to suffer in our time... so I post it here, too, so I can suffer twice as much!

As for the book, maybe something with "What goes up, must come down..." in it? Hmmm. Maybe not.

 
At 12:04 PM , Blogger Brooke said...

You're going out drinking. I believe the appropriate animal would be a Pink Bunny then. Or at least a pink elephant.

 
At 7:18 PM , Blogger Nancy said...

Greg, I know how you feel. I posted CYBILICIOUS and CYBIL DISOBEDIENCE as my suggestions for kidlit drink night. Nada.

Sigh.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home