Fuse #8

Thursday, December 28, 2006

A Fine Fat Goose For Your Goodly Wife

I'm back! Didja miss me? Didja even notice I was gone? No?

Well I for one am glad to get back into the swing of things. You were all uncommonly kind in terms of drumming up manga titles I didn't know about before, by the way. I do appreciate it. As for the holiday season, I got all sorts of goodies for Christmas too. I got The Art of Reading: Forty Illustrators Celebrate RIF's 40th Anniversary (we have the cover art here at Donnell), a DVD of Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas (how did my husband know?), the Sabuda Wizard of Oz, and other assorted tidbits. But the loveliest of all these, was the goose.

Remember when I lamented at length and in varying tones of sorrow that the Folkmanis goose, the greatest of all goose puppets (J.L. Bell's suggestion notwithstanding) was Out of Stock and unavailable? Moan loudly enough and the heavens themselves shall be wrought asunder and send you a saint in the form of Brian Selznick.

You heard me. Christmas was coming and Mr. Selznick sent me a fat beautiful goose puppet. It's truly lovely. Soft and full and with a head so flexible that it fairly challenges my mouse for the throne of Most Expressive Puppet. Featured (the biggie) below:


This is not just any goose, mind you. It has a history. Says my benefactor:
"When I was working on The Dinosaurs of Waterhouse Hawkins I was bitten by a goose in the park where the dinosaurs still stand in London. A bookseller gave me this goose puppet in honor of that somewhat painful incident."
So here we have a children's literary goose with a fine pedigree that is just PERFECT for playing Saracen to my Mosca in future booktalks. I couldn't be more pleased. I spent all of yesterday cuddling my (which is to say, Donnell's) new toy. Should any of you care to stop by my library, I'll be happy to show it to you. Yay, Brian Selznick!

6 Comments:

At 11:29 AM , Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

Brian Selznick gets the Cool Award of the Week.

 
At 12:08 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Week, heck. He should get the Cool Award of the Year. And then some.

 
At 12:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I missed you. I wanted to tell you that thanks to your link to ideas on how to give books to kids for Christmas, my niece got Charlotte's Web and a loverly stuffed piglet, and She Loved It, as did her elementary school teacher mother, who had apparently been looking for the version I chose without success.

 
At 2:43 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Aw. Well all credit for the pairing of gifts should really be given to Mother Reader. It was some smart thinking on her part, that.

 
At 5:06 PM , Blogger Ms.Bishop said...

Hey there! Love the blog. And congrats on the goose...nice one!

 
At 2:49 PM , Blogger Nancy said...

Shoot shoot shoot. I almost stopped by to see you on the very day of this post. I was wandering the streets of New York with a few others, shopping, admiring store windows, etc, and when we walked by the NYPL, I wanted to run in and say, "Hi. Happy New Year! Gotta run!" But my friends would have to see the Lord and Taylor windows and then rush back up to Rockefeller Center to endure the madness there and then rush over to Times Square and then...etc. I'll try again when my schedule is my own.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home