Fuse #8

Friday, February 16, 2007

Fellow Betsy

At the age of eight I was informed that my name, Betsy, rhymed with only one other word. Pepsi. It didn't, of course. Nothing rhymes with Betsy. Except, of course, two word phrases like "let's see," which, when spoken by well-meaning passerby, have contributed significantly to a kind of "is that my name?" whiplash over the years.

I've always liked my name, though. It was the 257th most popular name for girls in the 1950s, after all. As a kid I would sometimes run across old-timey books featuring fellow girls with my name. Betsy was in Carolyn Haywood's books. It was in Understood Betsy, which I was actually read. And it was in the Betsy-Tacy books as well.

Now the Betsy-Tacy books, should anyone ask, are enormously popular to this day. Heck, there's even a society dedicated to them. So it was with some interest that I noticed that the society is in a bit of a tizzy these days for fear of their beloved Lovelace books falling out of print. They've even a PDF file o' panic in which they urge fellow members to flood poor Margaret Miller with tons of pro-BT cries of adulation. So as you can see, I am not the only one out there with out-of-print concerns.

Thanks to Here in the Bonny Glen for the link.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home