Fuse #8

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

New York Library News: Skip if Bored

I feel so bad. I meant to mention this yesterday. You see May 21st was the grand opening of New York Public Library's brand spanking new Mulberry Branch! It's the first SoHo location to open and has several points with which to recommend itself.
  1. David Bowie lives above it. At least this is what I've heard. Now the librarians who work inside can hope that maybe someday he'll happen to stop in "just to chat".
  2. It's located in a building that was once a candy factory named Hawley & Hoops. Having heard that, I couldn't help but wish that NYPL had named the branch The Candy Factory. I mean, what kid wouldn't want to take a class trip to The Candy Factory?
  3. It's the 40th Manhattan library location and the 87th in the NYPL system.
  4. It contains a children's librarian who I snaggled via my contact with MotherReader. It's true! Go ask her.
So welcome, oh beautiful bright and shiny Mulberry Branch. Now let us discuss upping the number of branches in the Bronx, shall we?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 1:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Thanks for the plug, Betsy. :) Also, did you see the article in the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/15/nyregion/15library.html? Come see us soon!

 
At 4:02 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

I did, I did. That one had pictures too. Nicely played.

 
At 8:33 PM , Blogger Brooke said...

A library named "The Candy Factory" would indeed be awesome for field trips. However -- did you forget that this library's real name could lead to an entire busload o' kids singing "Here We Go 'Round the Mulberry Branch"?

I'm sure it would be cute for at least the first two times.

 
At 9:26 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Um... Brooke? I don't usually say this to everyone. But you, madam, are a genius. You hear that, Susie? Get t-shirts with that phrase on 'em.

 
At 3:38 PM , Blogger MotherReader said...

And it is indeed true. In the first time networking has ever worked for me, I suggested that my friend moving to NYC check in with Fuse. Fuse immediately sensed her coolness, and got her in touch with the right people. Hired to start at the new branch, poor kid has been holding tight at other branches.

But the moral of the story is: networking work - y'know, sometimes.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home