Fuse #8

Monday, August 28, 2006

Back Again

While perusing Jen Robinson's recent posting on how she had recently purchased some reissued reprints of older children's books, I was delighted to discover she mentioned my much beloved and too often forgotten Below the Root. This book was basically the City of Ember / Giver / Windsinger / any-other-book-where-a-kid-gets-an-assigned-job-at-12 title of its day. Why was I so attached to this particular title as a child? Because I owned, played, and loved the video game version.

So I was a little surprised to find it back in print after all these years. The author, Zilpha Keatley Snider, is well-known in certain circles but not necessarily a household name. According to the Amazon.com link, I discovered a publisher known as backinprint.com. Basically, they describe themselves as such:
The Authors Guild is the nation's oldest and largest professional society of published authors, representing more than 8,000 writers. The Authors Guild Backinprint Bookstore is pleased to bring readers access to a variety of titles that were previously out-of-print.
Whatever their reasons, this is an organization to watch. Now can we do something about bringing back The Noisy Counting book please?

5 Comments:

At 1:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was completely under the spell of the Green Sky books. I'm a little afraid to re-read them, actually, because I'm afraid that they won't hold up, and that I'll lose this feeling of magic. But I probably won't be able to resist. And I definitely agree that backinprint.com is something to watch. Very cool!

 
At 11:35 PM , Blogger Nancy said...

Thanks for the link to backinprint.com! I will use it wisely.

 
At 6:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, thanks for this link!!

Zilpha Keatley Snyder = my favorite author as a kid!! Look at the books they've reprinted!!

!!!!

 
At 1:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, again! I came back to say: thanks to you, I've ordered the Green Sky books (which I could never get my own copies of, back in the day), plus The Changeling, even though I still have my original! Debating if I should order The Velvet Room and Black and Blue Magic next, just to show support. (I still have my originals of those, too, but I'm so excited!)

:D Thanks,
rita

 
At 9:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Authors Guild is an organization founded in 1912 that offers legal services, access to group health insurance plans, web services, and the BackinPrint.com program to its 9,000 or so members. The Backinprint .com program is just another benefit -- not the sole project of the organization. Just wanted to make that clear.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home