Fuse #8

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Renee Should Read This Before Her Beatrix Stint

There's an especially amusing article in the Telegraph today. It begins with an acknowledgment of America's Anglophilia. We certainly can't deny that it exists here in the children's literature world. Name me three halfway decent American authored fantasies this year. Go on. Name 'em.

Anyway, the article soon gets into the real nitty gritty - American versions of English accents. Good readable stuff, this. There's nothing I love more that hearing a bad English accent. Mary Poppins, anyone? Dick Van Dyke had many charms, but believable cockney accents wasn't one of them. It was Australian, if anything.

3 Comments:

At 8:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do we have to name three? Won't one really great one do? Try THE WALL AND THE WING by Laura Ruby.
- H.V.

 
At 11:20 PM , Blogger Little Willow said...

Once, I had a customer approach the cash register with an audiobook, a receipt, and an absolutely stricken look upon her face.

"How may I help you?" I ask pleasantly.

"I have to return this," she replies, still looking ill at ease. "I thought they would be speaking American. I couldn't understand it."

I accepted the item as she handed it over. It was, at the time, the latest in worldwide bestselling British series The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith.

Speaking AMERICAN. I kid you not, it was said.

 
At 7:54 AM , Blogger Tally said...

Madonna comes to mind reading this, has anyone heard her talk recently? Argggghh

Being British myself living in a small town in the USA I have had many many amusing comments. One being "Do they speak English in England?"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home