Fuse #8

Friday, September 22, 2006

Advice For the New School Librarian

I admire school librarians. Not only do most of them have more degrees than I do, but they have to deal with the constant barrage of teachers dumping classes on them and then taking off. Plus they get little to no funding, have to know everything about everything, and live under the constant threat of having to justify their own existence year after year.

With that in mind, enjoy this small article from the good people at School Library Journal. It's advice for the new school librarian and a nicely written little piece it is. Makes me all the more glad I've my lovely NYPL to come home to every day.

2 Comments:

At 3:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot fending off parents who believe you're advocating Satanism if you recognize Halloween or Harry Potter or sexism if you advocate Hans Christian Anderson or Harry Potter, or racism if you advocate Huckleberry Finn or Nappy Hair (or, probably, Harry Potter...)

 
At 8:05 PM , Blogger Camille said...

Ah...but the rewards are great. Just had a former student, now in college post a comment on my blog asking for suggestions for new books. I always tell kids that I am their "librarian-for-life" and though they may travel different paths and have other librarians help them in their lifetime, no one will care more about their reading life than I will.

For many kids, I was the first librarian they ever knew. The library was their favorite place in the school. Some days it just doesn't get any better than that!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home