Fuse #8

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

ABCs of Good Design

Someday I will be independently wealthy and I will have time to research topics and write papers on subjects that no one, aside from myself, would ever want to read. For example, why are people obsessed with the combination of good design and small children? I refer you to the Modern Alphabet Flashcards. I was willing to believe that the book One Red Dot might hold some charms for the kiddies, and I was even going to go along with the idea that Mondrian Pac-Man (an arcade game you can play at the Museum of the Moving Image, by the way) would be fun too. But where do you draw the line? Today I'm drawing it in front of these here flashcards. Pull the other one, design lovers! I'm not buying it anymore!

5 Comments:

At 9:32 AM , Blogger Julie said...

draw the line here:
http://www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~s.mama/gallery.html

 
At 10:49 AM , Blogger Julie said...

Here's another link to refer to when you write your essay on design for children. It's an ad for the Infant Stim-Mobile.

Babies like graphic art. I think there's some kind of scientific research that backs this up. (But maybe it's just Swedish and Upper West Side babies.)

http://store.babycenter.com/product/toys/toys_06months/6510?stage=all

 
At 12:55 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Actually, I've been exposed in my time to the worst excesses of child modernism in my day. I worked in a Greenwich Village library (YAY, Jefferson Market!) that was across the street from the highest end children's toy store in the world. One of those stores that are too cool to even show their name on the street. And in the window was a mobile that made the Stim-Mobile look like a Walmart knock-off, "rocking horses" that were simply a single piece of wood folded back, and clear plastic doll houses that looked like knock-off versions of the upcoming "Freedom Tower". In a weird way I miss seeing it every day.

 
At 5:58 PM , Blogger Nancy said...

Wow, I just read your Amazon review about One Red Dot. I knew the style sounded pleasantly familiar to me. Then I saw your above comment and knew why.

 
At 9:45 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Yup. When obscenely rich people have children the results are hee-larious.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home